Home Michelle Marley Blogroll

Lately It’s Been Cold

Argh. The rain, the cold, and just the annoyance of Texas weather. Going from warm to cold, and finally rainy would have put a cold into me, but I’ve been taking preventive measures as to not get one….because I get Bronchitis nearly every time it changes weather patterns. Texas weather hurts me, but luckily, this time I didn’t a cold or Bronchitis. Hallelujah, actually! I don’t need getting sick, plus I’ve been eating right, and losing that weight. I’ve lost 33 lbs now. Down 2 more lbs than last time. 227.8 which is great! I saw my relatives and they commented on my vast improvement but that was fine, because I’m growing more confident in myself and my body. I’ve said it before because I’ve always had bad self esteem due to my weight and all the bullying I had to endure by my father and etc;, but now I can say that I’m finally going into my own and just being myself. It’s been difficult to be myself and just constantly be barged with insults and just terrible things because of what a number said on a scale. I am more than that number and while I can admit that weight does influence health in a lot of different ways, I know that but I also know that my number isn’t all of me.

Then it was Thanksgiving and while I have no pictures about it, let us just say I had a wonderful time spending it with both sides of the family, though I couldn’t stomach the islamophobia and Obama hate too much on the side of politics. My mother’s brothers and etc; are very right winged and very conservative I would say, so listening to them talk about politics when I know they are just fearmongering makes me angry and want to debate them, but then I remember that I love them and that politics shouldn’t divide people like it has.

My husband, Jose and I at my in laws on Thanksgiving!

I’m still voting though, and maybe getting my driver’s license. I know I’ll get that at least, though I have to study the yellow book hard before getting my driver’s permit. It’s different in the states than the rest of the world compared to what Georgie of my.georgie.nu had to go through. I know that I could just take a test and get a permit and then wait 6 months and learn how to drive through driver’s ed. That cost money…but honestly, I don’t know if I can function at driving. I still have a great fear in it.

Then my husband and I had to ask for money from my father. My father in-law but at this point, I’m his daughter and he even so, which warmed my heart. I think of him as my true father to be honest, other than my inlaws, because in actuality they take care of my husband, Jose and I greatly. So, it was difficult to ask for help when we had dwindling money, and that’s partly the reason why I wanted to get into working again, if not part time. So, it was then we learned that my father wanted to open a snack and funnel cake shop and I even asked if I could work part time in that. You see he owns a restaurant and my family on my husband’s side takes care of it. It’s in Dallas of course, but he plans on opening that funnel cake shop in Arlington, and which I can help out. I’d love to be behind a register again instead of working by lifting boxes heavier than me. It’s going to be a long job, for sure, but I’ll make sure to take care of myself.

I don’t mind eventually helping with another family business as they had many in the past. Though funnel cake is weird, considering I’ve never had it before hand, but we talked to him in great lengths and then he gave us money to help pay for bills and etc; because I don’t start my job until Monday at 5pm. Yay!

And if you wondered this is how my real father and his people eat at Thanksgiving…my Salvadoran father and my people eat. It’s different of course.

Panes Con Povo (Salvadoran recipe)

tumblr_nqu22sgcBT1snwi96o1_1280_zpstwmdd3ni (1)

Posted on November 27th, 2015 in Blog, Uncategorized by Michelle. 9 Comments

Posted on November 28th, 2015, at 8:17 am by Anca.

Congrats for your weight and your attitude towards your family, despite the politics. It’s great you have such a good relationship with your in-laws, it shouldn’t matter if he is your real father or not. Sometimes love is more important than blood. xx
Anca recently posted…15 things I learned as an expat in UKMy Profile

Posted on November 29th, 2015, at 4:36 am by Kya.

It’s good that you have not gotten a cold yet and I hope that you can avoid it. That wouldn’t be nice. It’s great that you are loosing weight and you are able to gain more confidence in yourself. The fact you are working soon as well should really help as well. 😀

It would be good if you could help out in the shop. It might be a better option than lifting, but at least the UPS job is something and it will probably help in the meantime. 😀

I have a lot of issues with driving. I think you should try it and see how you feel. I am not exactly sure on how the process works there (I live in Australia, like Georgie), but if you can get a permit and practice driving and see how comfortable you feel, you can go from there. I do know that many people that have their license have a feeling of greater independence because they can go somewhere if they want too. There are however the problems of having a car and paying for repairs, gass, insurance and other things. But if you’re working it shouldn’t be that major! 😀

Posted on November 29th, 2015, at 9:07 am by Pauline.

I’m glad you avoided the cold and sickness! Happy thanksgiving! Sounds like you had a blast! And I know how you feel, my family are exactly the same. During dinner, we always have a debate about things on the news. As my family are quite conservative, they say some harsh things and very narrow mindedly too.
Pauline recently posted…Water Under The BridgeMy Profile

Posted on November 29th, 2015, at 3:34 pm by Tess.

This season is one of the hardest to escape getting a cold so hooray you were able to avoid it! Preventative action always helps! To be able to contain yourself and not end up in a debate is a hard thing but you were able to succeed! Politics is such a huge divider in any given family so if you’re able to retain your thoughts or discuss it without it ending in arguments is always best. What an amazing blessing and opportunity that is coming your way with the work opportunities coming… your FIL sounds like an amazingly wonderful man and glad that he’s going to be able to help you and your hubby out through this time and I hope it all works out in the end! I hope you had an awesome thanksgiving well spent with family! 🙂
Tess recently posted…Keeping Up with the Little HumidifierMy Profile

Posted on November 29th, 2015, at 4:12 pm by Maroon Caludin.

I’m glad you’re still doing so well! Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!
Maroon Caludin recently posted…My Little Pony: The Cutie Re-MarkMy Profile

Posted on November 29th, 2015, at 11:24 pm by Cat.

Congrats on your weight loss! That’s great! I’m glad you had a good Thanksgiving with both sides of your family. I try not to get into politics with my family because their views differ from mine as well.

That’s sweet of your father-in-law to help with money. I hope he opens the shop and that you can work there! Funnel cake is kind of weird because it’s basically fried dough, but it’s so tasty too, especially with different toppings 🙂

I hope your job goes well on Monday! Good luck!
Cat recently posted…Maui – part 1My Profile

Posted on November 30th, 2015, at 4:21 pm by Becca.

Politics is always a touchy subject, anywhere you go. Everyone has their own opinions and it’s not a topic that anyone will probably be swayed on. So you did the best thing, just agreed to disagree and enjoy the company of loved ones.

Funnel cakes are the best! That’s such an unique idea as well – it’s something that there aren’t any of around here and I would definitely visit! I always complain you can only get funnel cakes at fairs and carnivals, haha. 😛

Posted on December 1st, 2015, at 2:45 am by Jeanie.

Yay! Im so happy to hear about your weight loss!Keep doing it until you can be really confident about yourself because confidence can do everything good to yourself. Don’t loose your confidence always hold your head up high! 🙂 Your father-in-law is so generous that he even helps you and your husband with money. You’re so blessed.

Like you I want to work but mom said I need to focus on my studies first and graduate on college before getting a job because I easily lose focus lol.

Happy Thanksgiving to you Michelle. Im so glad to be one of your online friend! <3
Jeanie recently posted…My Favorite Things: November 2015My Profile

Posted on December 1st, 2015, at 9:13 pm by Jae.

Happy to know you had a wonderful time with your family during Thanksgiving! And, I’m totally rooting for you to get your driver’s license already! You’ll get over your fear of driving once you’ve gotten the hang of it. 🙂
Jae recently posted…ipsy October/November 2015: First ImpressionsMy Profile